Assignment 3 Project two Casting the internal space of a vessel

I like the unpredictable nature and fluidity of plaster, which has allowed me to be more spontaneous. The plaster finds its own level due to the nature of it, which is difficult to control and causes problems when trying to create different levels.
Foil was used to cast into, but found it would not release and stuck in the crevices of the plaster. This was annoying, however on reflection looked like veins of ore within rock. Pearl beads were added, giving it a surreal feel. This was the best sample created and something that could be worked on. The quality was good with no air bubbles and overall responded well to being poured into the foil ‘mold’.
dsc_0429

Further exploration of this

dsc_0296    dsc_0424

dsc_0287

I was very pleased with this samples and the photograph compliments it, due in part to the reflection on the foil. This needs exploring further, by possibly changed the depths and size.

I was inspired by Silvia Krupinska an artist who uses real pearls for her work. But she also creates sculpture using pearl dust.
https://silviakrupinska.wordpress.com/tag/pearl-dust/
However, this seems sacrificial to change what is already beautiful. She harvests the pearls herself, so there is a connection to the natural world, which I find with a lot of artists. Her sculptures show us a glimpse of the underwater world that is secret and dark at the same time.

I had the idea of adding pearls before I discovered her work and felt the connection immediately. They give a surreal look which resembles bubbles and reflect light, which contrasts well with the Matt of the plaster.

Problems were encountered, when using a food container to cast. By using wood to create a hole I hadn’t considered whether it would release or not, unfortunately it didn’t. This spoiled the overall idea, despite this it was an interesting contrast in composition.
dsc_0281

A Rennie box was used to cast one sample. I wanted to introduce metallic beads into the piece and the box allowed me to pour small amounts of plaster and beads at various intervals, between the plaster.
Heat was evident from the plaster, and when cured, it was clear that plaster had been absorbed through the card. But by introducing water and rubbing the paper successfully removed it and needs consideration in future projects. The results surpassed what was imagined. The plaster was the main focus, with glimpses of the beads. Once cast it was extremely hard and managed to hold the beads in place. The surface was smooth with ridges where the beads peered out. I was extremely pleased with this.
dsc_0412

I am aware I am a messy worker and need to be more methodical in my approach.

dsc_0274    dsc_0273

Adding scrim to the plaster gives an organic feel which makes it softer and warmer in contrast to the coldness of the plaster.

dsc_0284

By adding nail varnish, the surface of the plaster was broken and has an almost marbled effect. I had tried coloured paint, but it was very muted and spoilt the overall effect.

 dsc_0277 dsc_0271

dsc_0276

The cake tray produced a few samples which could stacked into a tower. The lines are quite defined, so add an extra dimensional quality.

dsc_0439  dsc_0437

sweet trays

dsc_0663dsc_0661

dsc_0656

meat tray

 

dsc_0654

cake tray

dsc_0652

Pen tray

dsc_0651

 

Advertisements

Author: huggywitch

I have been doing textiles for a number of years and recently started my degree. I have always had an interest in theatre costume design and this is where my passion lie.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s