Casting with a balloon was a revelation after researching.
- felt the possibilities were endless.
My first attempt looked like a lemon, which was unintentional. However because it was familiar, I felt it was successful and aided the process of further exploration. My working process was rather messy at first but improved as I experimented further. When photographing i used the background of the worktop, which gave a very different feel when a plain background was applied.
I wanted to create negative space as well as positive, so decided to create a bowl. A Balloon was covered in plaster and I made the mistake, one not allowing it to dry and two by not controlling the air when deflating. This resulted in an explosion of plaster. Undeterred by this, further thought was given to this and redone with controlled deflation. The broken pieces were attached whilst wet and proved to be very effective in the final outcome. I am pleased with the result, but it is very fragile. This could be alleviated by using porcelain and then firing.
Taking inspiration from a previous exercise I had decided to wrap a balloon. The Shapes were created by tying rope hessian around the outside of the balloon and left to set. The smoothness of the surface felt very tactile. There were defined ‘divisions’ on the samples adding visual impact. Overall very successful.
I wasn’t sure how this would work, but the results surpassed my expectations. It was like opening a present, not quite sure what you would get. I photographed the samples, which all looked very different, but each had a quality of its own with one being almost luminescent.