Project 2 Exercise 1- Collatype printing

Exercise 1 create a collage block

                                     

 

                                       

  

Collage was made using scrim, textured grid, fishing wire, shaped and ordinary sequins and lace
Layers weren’t flat, giving an uneven pattern, but showed interesting patterning, especially the gridded material. The print worked well on the silk, although did take a while to dry. Some elements showed areas for future development, but in a different configuration. Changing the background colour made a difference, the purple stands out on the pale blue background but seems to recede on the pink silk.

Collage 2 using polystyrene, pretzels, sequins, lace and gridded hessian.

                                                                   

I decided to do a second one, to see if the results were better. Again some areas were better than others and printed well, especially the lace and the sequins. I felt the lace would make a good overall background with other elements possibly printed in another colour. There was a huge contrast between the silk and the paper and a good indication of how light plays a part in design. I decided to splash paint on the print and loved the result as it looked like a dancer. I felt out of all of the prints this was the one that i could develop.

 

Advertisements

Author: huggywitch

I have been doing textiles for a number of years and recently started my degree. I have always had an interest in theatre costume design and this is where my passion lie.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s